Sunday, January 21, 2007

Chasing the setting sun

Tonight I was listening to an old podcast of Science Friday on NPR. They were talking about a comet that was visible in the northern hemisphere in early January. The scientist was explaining how the comet was visible for just 30 minutes before sunset. The setting of the comet coincided with the setting of the sun and he described it as a race between the two to the horizon. As I pictured this comet stretching, racing towards the horizon--trying to get just a little more distance in before the lights went out--I thought to myself: I am the comet. If life were the evening sky and all my goals and responsibilities the setting sun . . . I am the comet. Like a rabbit with its racing carrot, I feel like I am always running to catch up to that which is just beyond my reach. I keep saying that next week or next month or the next phase of my life will be better . . . but it never is. The details change, but the story is the same. I can't help but wonder: Is this just how life works? Or am I just incompetent?

No comments: