Monday, January 22, 2007

Doha helps you get a clue

Tonight for mutual we played a live version of CLUE. (I got the idea from http://www.jennysmith.net but changed the details to fit our group.) The premise of the game was that Bishop Tibbitts had been kidnapped and we had to find out who did it, where and with what. Considering all the issues I was having with getting everything ready today--it turned out really well. I would recommend it for any of you in YM or YW.

While the game was going, I had a good chat with Lena Paul--she is the mom of one of my Laurels. I really like and respect their family--they are a great balance of righteous and fun. This is really a great ward. Even though it doesn't always function "as it should," there is a lot of love and a great spirit because everyone is away from "home" and is struggling financially, emotionally, or spiritually. We become a family because we need each other.

Lena and I were talking about how moving to Doha has one of two outcomes for most people. Either 1) It is really hard and challenging and you grow and become stronger or 2) It is really hard and challenging and your life falls apart. Almost everyone goes through what people refer to as the "Doha Dumps." These are different for everyone, but the outcome is the same--it forces you to face the weaknesses that exist in yourself and in your relationships with others. When you are living at home and within your comfort zone, you can hide or ignore these weaknesses more easily. When you are faced with the challenges of living here, you really find out what you are made of. Hopefully this creates an opportunity to really grow in understanding and strength. However, it can be a pretty scary staring in that mirror. It has been a rough year for Jon and me, but it has been a really good one too. I can't imagine what our life would have been like if we hadn't moved here--but I also can't image what life HERE would have been like without our ward for support. I will be ready to move home, but it is going to be really hard for me to leave this ward.

No comments: