Friday, April 6, 2007

In Honor of Nix: Some Travel Musings...

I am sitting in the London Heathrow Airport...delayed three more hours. I don't mind though because it is clean, has plenty of shops and places to eat. (I am currently waiting for my food in TGIFridays.) At least it isn't the Cairo airport--where we spent most of yesterday. The Cairo airport (like the city) was pretty dirty and disgusting. (It makes me appreciate Doha and how clean it is.) Our flight from Cairo to Doha was also delayed and we didn't get in until almost midnight. I had to be back at the airport at 5:30 the next morning. I am on my way to New York for Nikki's wedding (my old HDR roommate.) It sounded like a good idea at the time, but I didn't really think about how much time that would be on an airplane:

Doha to Cairo, Cairo to Sharm Al Sheikh, Sharm back to Cairo, Cairo to Doha, Doha to London, London to New York, New York to London, London to Doha= 3 airlines, 5 cities, 8 flights, 10 days.

My body is not holding up so well, but luckily this airport has a pharmacy. Since working for the Institute we have been spoiled and flying business class. Since WE paid for this ticket, we got it in economy. It actually wasn't bad. Qatar Airways is a really nice airline. I watched a great movie called "Stranger than Fiction." It is the kind of movie that Jon would fall asleep watching and at the end I would wake him up to tell him how "brilliant" it was. I normally don't like Will Ferrell, but I thought he was great in this. My next flight is on Virgin Atlantic--which I am trying for the first time.

I just looked up and realized on the wall across from me is a Utah license plate. For a split second I forgot where I was and that I live overseas. That happens in Doha sometimes. I am so use to everything that it all has become very "normal"--but every once in a while it hits me..."I LIVE IN THE MIDDLE EAST!" And for a moment it feels so surreal. The Utah licence plate has a picture of "The Fonz" underneath it--That must be a good omen for something. Maybe my travel luck will start to improve.

I wish Jon were here (he couldn't come because of work), but at the same time it is nice to have some alone time. Even though I am surrounded by people--this is still a moment all to myself. No cell phone, no email, no work, no church, no family, no friends, no to do list, no responsibilities. I love flying for this reason. I love "disconnecting" for a while. This is my way of escaping from reality. I don't have to be anything to anyone. I have no concerns except when my next flight is boarding. I don't even mind sitting on the plane--especially now that I have an iPod and airlines have personal TVs. I find it very liberating to be "forced" to watch as much TV/movies as I want, sleep as much as I want, or stare off into space as much as I want. Those of you who know me best know I have a special weakness for really dumb movies. I might as well come out of the closet now--Vin Diesel is a personal favorite. I haven't admitted this to too many people--I like being known for loving really "brilliant" films. I am generally too embarrassed (or too cheap) to see a really dumb movie in theaters or even to rent it. This is why I get excited to fly on planes with personal TVs. I am perfectly happy to watch 3 dumb movies in a row. My only problem is remembering that I am on a plane (and watching the movie with headphones) and it is still embarrassing to laugh out loud or start to cry when no one else sees what I am seeing. I am also a sap for made-for-TV movies--but unless I am sick, it isn't very often that I can justifying 3 movies in a row.

HOURS later...

Still sitting in London...still in the airport. The flight was delayed AGAIN. I have been here about 8 hours, but now at least I am at the gate. Guess The Fonz isn't quite the good luck charm he use to be...

I finally arrived at my hotel in NYC around 4:30 AM on Saturday.

No comments: